Querida Familia y amigos, I received a call from the mission office last Thursday that Chris was called to serve in the Guatemala Quetzaltenango mission and I told the person that called me: "I am the happiest person in the world!" I really think that I am. I instantly knew what mission it was because I happen to have a friend from the MTC who is serving there right now. She will be gone by the time Chris gets there though. Honduras, not too shabby of a guess, eh? I was really feeling Central America. Yes! Also, about half of our branch here is Guatemalan so I have talked with a lot of them about Chris' mission call. They are all so happy even though they're from other parts of Guatemala. They told me that Quetzaltenango is cooler than other parts of Guatemala (in a good way, not like Minnesota cool) because it is more mountainous over there. They also told me that almost all of the missionaries there learn a dialect because the mission mostly covers indigenous areas. One member said that if learning another language is really hard for a missionary some don't ever end up serving Spanish, they just stay in one area and learn the dialect there and speak that dialect their whole mission and other missionaries learn Spanish and a dialect. Also there are a few different dialects. Pretty cool. I love Guatemalans!
My new companion, Hermana Peak, is great. She has a very strong testimony of the gospel and so much faith. Most missionaries are nervous and don't want to speak a lot when they first arrive but she loves sharing her testimony so she is always willing to open up and speak. She also has a lot of love for the people already and she was very prepared to be a missionary. I know that we will see great miracles together.This week has a been a whirlwind. I have never trained before and it can be a lot of work. I want so much for her to have a good experience and to start her mission on the right foot. It is the best thing that could have happened at this point in my mission because it keeps me on my toes and the duty helps me to be an even more diligent missionary who seeks the Spirit.
Things are great here. Being a missionary is the greatest thing. I love you all so much!
Con amor,
Hermana Kinghorn