Monday, February 28, 2011

Siempre se fiel

Querida Familia,

A few weeks ago I received someting in the mail that the mission office had forwarded to me. Because it was pretty heavy the postal service was going to charge me an exta seven dollars for forwarding it to me; however, there was a note attached to it that read: "Dear Sister Kinghorn, No worries about the postage due, I've paid for it. Thanks for serving the Lord. Your Mail Carrier." Isn't that sweet? I'm pretty sure our mail carrier is a member.

This week we visited someone who has a terminal auto-immune disease. She had a flare-up and was admitted to the hospital a few weeks ago. It was sad to see her there looking so week when we're the same age but it felt really good to be there to encourage her. I was reminded of the frailty of our bodies but the divine nature and strength of our spirits to overcome the trials of life. In the lesson with her I felt very strongly (almost more strongly than ever before in my mission) the love that Heavenly Father has for her as His daughter and I was able to share that with her.

The importance of following the promptings of the Spirit was confirmed to me this week. As we were praying to leave that morning I felt that we should change the audio version of a General Conference talk that we were going to share with an investigator that day. Then when we arrived I second-guessed myself because the original talk was about parenting and I knew she was having some concerns with her sons. She watched it and liked it alright, but when we were leaving she said the closing prayer and mentioned specifically how she was feeling bad about not being able to see her father before he died. The other talk I had felt impressed to give was President Monson's about the resurrection. I recommited myself to follow the promptings of the Spirit.

This week for my Book of Mormon reading the main thing that I want to share is from 2 Nephi 19-20 when it says that after all of the things His people were doing, His arms were still extended. I know that the Lord is always there with open arms waiting for us to repent. Just like Dad said a few weeks ago, if we draw near unto Him, He will draw near unto us.

Con amor,

Hermana Kinghorn