Querida Familia y Amigos,
We met our new mission president, President Larkin, and his family this week. We are really going to miss the Moffats, but we were also very happy to meet the Larkins. President Larkin is very different from President Moffat, but we felt a spirit from him as he spoke just as we did with President Moffat. They have two children still at home (a 13 year-old and a 10 year-old) and one son who is in the MTC. Their children are so cute and are excited to be here. They add something fun and different to the meetings.
We have been finding a lot of less-active members here recently. Here is a story about Juan Carlos: Just this last week we were driving through the parking lot of an apartment complex to visit a family in the ward when Hermana Melton made a comment about one of the men standing on his balcony, that he looked sad. We kept driving to the other end of the complex and parked to visit the family. They weren't at home so we were going back to the car to drive somewhere else to tract when I suggested that we walk over to the other building where we saw the sad-looking man. We found the apartment and the person who opened the door wasn't the same man we saw on the balcony, but after we introduced ourselves he said, "I'm Mormon." He told us that he was baptized when he was 8 and was active all growing up but hadn't been to church since he moved to the United States. He would pass the church buildings here but never knew if there were services in Spanish. He said he definitely wanted to start going back to church and he lives with his cousin and his cousin's family who aren't members but that he would bring them too. Hermana Melton and I were filled with gratitude. I know that Heavenly Father loves Juan and I am so grateful that Hermana Melton and I were able to be guided to him.
The elders also tracted into this family of cousins living together. One of them told the elders that he thinks he was baptized when he was 8 but he wasn't sure. So the elders sent us over and we got his information and the ward clerk was able to find his information. Then we came by another time and his cousins were there and they told us that they were baptized too so we got their information. It turns out that a lot of their extended family had been baptized when they were all around 8 years-old and then shortly thereafter had all gone inactive. We taught them the lesson of the restoration and it was interesting because they didn't remember any of it so it was like teaching an investigator, but they were already baptized. We are happy to be here trying to grow our little Spanish group.
I love you all and I hope things are well for you. Hasta luego!
Con amor,
Hermana Kinghorn