Tuesday, July 13, 2010

3 Semanas en Federal Way

Querida Familia y Amigos,

Two of the three men we met in the van last week couldn't find work and couldn't find an apartment so decided to go back to Yakima. But Franco, the one who said he was Mormon, stayed! We had two great lessons with him this week. He had difficulty understanding the reality of the apostasy and the need for authority. He also has a very strong belief in the Virgin of Guadalupe. For the second lesson we felt like we should go on to lesson two without reviewing the restoration. The first principle in the plan of salvation talks about how Heavenly Father has a body of flesh and bones, glorified and perfected. He was surprised. He said, "I'm not trying to doubt you, but I've been around for a long time and no one has ever told me that before." We were able to teach more about the apostasy and how this was just one example of a basic truth that was lost and why we needed the restoration. We taught him that he was a son of God and about how when we understand the nature of God we understand better who we are, why we're here, and what we can have in the next life. It was a really powerful lesson. We told him that he needed to gain a testimony of the restoration and the truths that were restored. He called the next day and told us that he had been looking on the internet about The Book of Mormon. He said that there were many websites that said The Book of Mormon is false and others that said that it was true. Then he said, "Now I am finally convinced! Everything they were saying about how The Book of Mormon is false didn't match my experience at all. I know that it's true." We were relieved. I know that whoever follow's Moronoi's promise by reading The Book of Mormon and asking God with faith, real intent, and a sincere heart will receive an answer. They will also come to know that Jesus is the Christ, Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints it the Lord's church on the earth. I know it's true!

This week was Hermana Melton's birthday. We went to the Los Amigos Taquería here in Federal Way to celebrate. I ordered and actually ate a lengua (cow tongue) taco.

Con amor,

Hermana Kinghorn