Querida Familia,
Our class made a commitment to finish reading El Libro
de Mormon by April 21. That doesn't give me much time
and requires me to read a lot of Spanish everyday, but
the reading becomes easier and easier as I familiarize
myself with the language. In fact, yesterday I finished
1 Nephi!
I have been translating mom's conversion story into Spanish
with the tutor we have here. I am only three sentences
away from finishing. It has been really great language
training for me and I am excited to share portions of it
with the people I teach.
Last week we had two new sisters arrive in our room named Hermanas
Rooney and Drussel. My last companion left last Wednesday so
now I am companions with Hermanas Neubert, Rockwood, and Tew.
All six of us have so much fun in our room. They are great,
faithful hermanas that I love to be around. Hermanas Rooney and
Drussel like to exercise in the morning so we have been waking up
at 5:45 to go to the exercise class they have for sisters in the
morning. They teach pilates, yoga, aerobics, and kickboxing.
The classes are so fun and are almost addictive.
:D Something wonderful happened this morning: My companion and I
were talking in Spanish and... something felt right! What I mean
by that is in the conversation we had to conjugate an irregular
verb we paused for a second and then just conjugated it because
it felt right. That is a good sign that we are learning the
language and that we are hearing it enough that we don't have to
look up every verb in the dictionary.
I love studying the scriptures in Spanish. Comparing the different
connotations that words have in Spanish with English has brought
a lot of insight into my gospel study. For example, the word for
"to hope" in Spanish is"esperar." However, in Spanish it also
means "to wait" or "to expect." This has helped me to better
understand what it means to hope for something; it is more than an
empty desire but waiting or expecting for God to fulfill His
promises because of our understanding of His character.
Con cariƱo,
Hermana Kinghorn