Monday, October 25, 2010

El Libro de Mormón

Mi querida familia y amigos,

We had a good week. On Wednesday we were able to invite V. to be baptized on the
27th of November and she accepted. She is a former investigator and has had a few baptismal goals in the last few years but has never been able to completely stop smoking. We love her a lot and her four children and we look forward to working with her to help her meet her goal and to feel the joy of being a part of the Gospel.

Elder Ringwood of the seventy toured our mission this week and we were able to have a zone conference with him on Wednesday. He and Elder Kikuchi have completely different styles but they both carry the Spirit with them. But suffice it to say that I was able to receive answers to some of the silent prayers in my heart and to be spiritually-refueled.

One of our less-active members that the sisters have been visiting for over a year and had only been to church once came to church last Sunday for the second time in a row! This week she even brought her two children to watch the Primary program. We are so happy for the habit that she is restarting in her life.

It has started to get colder here. The members are telling us that it is supposed to be the worst winter Seattle has had in 50 years. We're glad to have the warning and I am trying not to dread it too much as I get cold really easily, but I bought leggings last week and boots a few weeks ago and it has helped. I'm just so thankful that we have a car.

We were able to have a lesson with the Sanchez family this week. They are a part-member family and we will be having dinner with them every Thursday. The lesson was on temples and we were able to look through the new Temples Ensign with them and help them to understand the importance of temples and to see how beautiful they are. When we finished the girls did an art project by cutting out pictures of the temple from our old copies of the Ensign and making a poster with their goal to enter the temple one day.

I spent a lot of time reading the Book of Mormon this past week because we were supposed to finish it before Elder Ringwood came and I was behind. A thing that really stood out to me was in 3 Nephi 7:18. I love how it says that Nephi had a testimony so strong that it was not possible that the people could disbelieve his words. Wouldn't it be great to have a testimony that strong? I'm working on it. But even still the people were angry with him. Nephi was blessed to be able to witness the coming of Jesus Christ to his people. How wonderful it will be when we see our Savior face to face, a confirmation of a testimony and knowledge that we already hold.

I love you all very much. I know the Book of Mormon is a true witness of Jesus Christ. My daily study of it is changing me and I know that it will do the same for whatever person will read it with a sincere heart and the intention to act on what they learn. Have a wonderful week!

Con amor,

Hermana Kinghorn