Monday, October 11, 2010

Andando para alla para aca

Querida Familia

We tried something new this week to contact people: Riding the bus. We got the idea from all the stories I heard while growing up about mom riding the bus on her mission. It was kind of fun and we felt like we were really preaching the gospel. You're not allowed to really proselyte on the bus so we basically had to choose a seat and be wise to choose one next to someone who speaks Spanish. Also, the nice thing about riding the bus is that even when you're talking to one person you can kind of involve a lot of people in the conversation. It was pretty successful and we decided that it is something that would be nice to do at night to contact people because it is pretty safe and well-lit.

This week was the Regional Spanish conference in Bellevue. All of the Spanish units from our mission, the Everrett Mission and the Spanish ward in Tacoma came. There was a tour of the temple, leadership training, dinner, a talent show with cultural dances, and a fireside. I don't know why I didn't expect it, but I was able to see a lot of people from Kent. First of all, in the morning they put the missionaries to work by organizing all of the silverware for the dinner. I heard someone call my name and when I turned around there was Edward with Oscar. I was so surprised! There were both doing very well. Edward told me that he moved out of the place he was living with the bad influences and now lives with a family in a house in the other part of town. He also said that he left his old job and now works as a mechanic. Oscar was baptized in August and is also doing very well. Then we were watching the talent show that night when someone tapped on my shoulder. When I turned around it was the whole Correa family. I was so happy to see them! The boys were so cute. They all looked so happy. I feel so lucky to know them. They gave me this card that was so sweet. I kept it with me all night because it was so special. They took a picture with their cell phone and told me they were going to put it on Facebook so I'm sure you'll all get to see it even though I won't!

We have a new rule in the mission and now we can eat with members any day and it's looking like that is going to mean that we will be eating with members every day. It's good in every way except for my hips. Ni modo! Brother Garcia who is the assistant ward mission leader for Spanish has been assigning our dinners and we are eating with active and less-active members and even with investigators. The people here are so generous and they make excellent Mexican food (and a few make excellent Paraguayan and Columbian food).

Hermana Melton went on exhanges a few weeks ago and told me that a lot of the hermanas in the mission apparently use peanut butter popcorn as an object lesson with less-active members and investigators. I have been teaching all of my companions how to make it because mom told me that she learned it from her companion so I thought I would share the greatness of peanut butter popcorn too. I didn't know that my companions were sharing it with everyone else. I think they make it with the family and use all of the ingredients to show the importance of all of the ingredients in living the gospel (reading the scriptures, praying, going to church, etc).

I love this gospel and I love being a missionary. I know the Church is true!

Con amor,

Hermana Kinghorn