Querida Familia y Amigos,
A few weeks ago we had an interesting experience that I forgot to share in my last letter. Hermana Fillmore and I were tracting and when we knocked on one door a man opened the door and immediately said, "Pasen." Which means come in. We were surprised because unfortunately that doesn't usually happen to us. We went in and sat down and looked around. It was a group of adults who were part of a religious study group. To be honest, my first reaction was a little bit of panic. After a little bit of talking (and a lot of silent prayer) we were able to teach a lesson all about prophets. I surprised myself when I started using passages and examples from the Bible (in Spanish) that I knew I wasn't very familiar with. They certainly weren't marked in my scriptures, but somehow I knew where they were and I knew details of obscure Old Testament stories (I guess I did get something out of 5:45 a.m. seminary). It was a really great lesson about prophets and by the end we committed them all to read the Restoration pamphlet and to pray to know if there is a prophet on the earth today. Since then we have seen a few of the people from that night in the store or in random parking lots and they have all told us that they read the pamphlet. They told us we need to come back and teach them again. I've always felt that my knowledge of the Bible (especially the Old Testament) was a weakness. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who in that moment made one of my weaknesses a strength for me. I know that none of the blessings we received from that lesson were from our own abilities.
On Tuesday we stopped by the home of someone who had called in the telephone number from a commercial and wanted a copy of The Restoration DVD. After having a little lesson with us she told us that 10 years ago her three-year-old daughter was run over by a bus and killed. She said that she was still very sad and depressed about it but she felt like that was the way it was supposed to be. We tried to share with her a little bit about the Plan of Salvation and set up another appointment with her, but she said her husband was so against her learning about the church that she was going to have to hide the DVD in her cupboard where he wouldn't look or he would throw it away. It was so sad to see her sad and to know that we had the most joyful message that could bring her hope but she was not going to receive it.
I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior. I know that this work is the work of God and that we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ. I know we have a prophet today and I am so grateful for all of this. I love sharing this message on the door, in the parking lot, on phone, over the pulpit, in people's living rooms, everywhere! Missionary work is the best!
Con amor,
Hermana Kinghorn