Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Me quedo aquí

Querida Familia y Amigos,

I am not being transferred this week so that means at least 6 more weeks here in beautiful Federal Way.

This week was a great week of miracles for us. Hermana Melton and I have been working very hard this transfer and haven't been able to see the fruit of our efforts in the ways that we would usually like to. But we kept working hard and exercising our faith and were blessed to see the hand of the Lord in our work.

There is a less-active member here who grew up in the church and believes that it is true, but married someone that is not a member and doesn't like to go by herself (she also has a hard time waking up in the morning). A few years ago her husband was taught by the elders but they did something that really turned him off to learning about the gospel and ever since then she hasn't let the missionaries anywhere near her husband. Then this week we stopped by to talk to her and she told us that her husband injured his back and that his chiropractor was a member who had served a mission in Colombia so they could speak Spanish together. They were able to talk about the church and the importance of raising your children with the gospel. The chirporactor was also able to answer a lot of her husband's questions about the differences between Catholicism and our church. Then the chiropractor offered to come with us to a lesson. The less-active member's husband told her that he would be willing to do that so we had a lesson at the chiropractor's house with this family. The spirit was felt strongly there and even though the rest of the chiropractor's family couldn't speak Spanish they had such a good attitude and came and participated in the lesson. We are so grateful for the returned-missionary chiropractor's willingness to share the gospel and to open his home. We will hopefully be able to continue teaching this family.

I have been learning the Spanish birthday song Las Mañanitas this week. You sing it in the morning to wake up the person whose birthday it is. It is longer and more exciting than the English birthday song.  If you get a chance, you might want to search for a recording of it on the Internet so you can listen to it.

I was able to hear great news from the Kent sisters at Spanish meeting on Saturday. Three of the investigators that I taught in Kent are going to be baptized this month and one hopefully next month. It is just a testimony to me that we teach with the Spirit and we have confidence in the Lord and his timing. I may never have known what happened to those investigators but I am so thankful that the sisters shared with me that happy news!

I love you all very, very much!

Hermana Kinghorn