Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hermana Kinghorn


Querida Familia (Dear Family),


Feliz Navidad (Merry Christmas)! How are you all doing? Thank you
for the Christmas card. It is so nice to receive mail here. There
really is almost no better feeling after 14 hours of work to read
a letter from someone you love.

I have finally come to realize what everyone means when they say
that serving is one of the hardest things you could ever do. I
suppose just sitting in class all day at the MTC and goofing off
in our study time isn't very difficult, but actually being a
diligent missionary who is alert and focused and who has her
heart in the right place is very hard.

If I had written on Thursday I would have told you that I loved
being here in the MTC, that it was the greatest thing I had ever
done, and that I was so elated. Friday was another story. I spent
most of the day frustrated because I was tired (even after 8
hours of sleep), I didn't have enough time to get ready in the
morning, I had to exercise (get sweaty) in the middle of the day,
I couldn't pay attention in class, I couldn't talk to my family,
and the list goes on. I am finally starting to find an emotional
state that is somewhere in-between.

It really is emotionally and physically draining to serve 100%
all day every day, especially without a break after finals. I
can see why the standards for prospective missionaries are so
high. To be honest, I am being broken down every single day and
am coming to see more clearly than ever before that I cannot do
this alone. I am learning to be more efficient with my time,
to be more genuinely interested in others, to be a better
follower, and to be a more humble and diligent person.

My companion is Hermana Howze from Chicago (isn't that great,
Mom?). She is going to the Dominican Republic Santiago Mission
and will be leaving in 2 weeks to spend 6 weeks in the Dominican
Republic MTC. When she leaves I will be what they call a solo
sister which means I won't have a companion but I will join a
companionship of edlers in my district for most activities.
Hermana Howze and I get along great. Ella me cae bien (She
falls well with me/I like her). I don't know how else to
describe her besides "chill."

My district is great. A district is a group of missionaries
that are in a class together. We are pretty much learning
together 14 hours a day. There are 10 elders and 2 sisters
in our district. 3 of the missionaries will be leaving soon
to attend other MTCs. We are an intermediate district which
means we all know a moderate amount of Spanish which makes
learning nice. I think I have spoken more Spanish in the
past week than my whole life combined. Heavenly Father is
blessing me to be able to open my mouth and practice all
throughout the day. I have been praying for months now that
my inhibitions about speaking would be removed and I would
be able to learn the language. I love learning Spanish!

One incredible thing about the MTC is the learning that
goes on here. In the 5 days that I have been here, I have
already had 2 major gospel questions that I have been
studying for years become very clear to me. Heavenly Father
really does help missionaries to learn the gospel.

There aren't wards here in the MTC, but there are branches
that are each composed of several districts. Our branch
includes only advanced (native) and intermediate Spanish
districts. This means that most of our Sunday meetings are
in Spanish. Every week all of the missionaries in the branch
have to prepare a 5 minute talk in Spanish on a predetermined
subject. At the beginning of sacrament meeting the branch
president announces the speakers for the meeting. Scary! Thank
goodness President Romney did not call on me this last Sunday.
My talk would have sounded like a primary talk.

The temple is closed for the next 2 weeks for cleaning so we
had extra time today to write. We were sad to find out the
temple was closed, but it makes me even more grateful that
there is a temple in my mission. Tonight I am singing in the
choir for devotional. We are not sure who is speaking but it
is always a General Authority on Tuesdays and since it's
Christmas it will probably be an apostle. Sister Uchtdorf
(President Uchtdorf's wife) gave our Relief Society lesson
last Sunday -- awesome!

Dont' forget to be missionaries this Christmas. The gospel
has blessed our family so much and when we can see the ways
in which it has, it becomes so natural to want to share that
with others. Sharing the gospel is such a privilege!

Missions are the best!

Con mucho amor (With much love),

Hermana Kinghorn

PPPS - My P-day is Tuesday which is the only day I can read
emails, but I can read letters any day. So please send
letters.