Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas at the Missionary Training Center

Querida Familia,

Christmas in the MTC was nice. Hermana Howze and I agree that it didn't feel much like Christmas, though. On Tuesday Elder Neil L. Anderson from the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came to speak to us. His wife also spoke and his granchildren performed a special musical number. Sister Anderson spoke about how primary children all over the world pray for us and that was really touching to me. Elder Anderson spoke on how the things of real value must be paid for in advance. He said the sacrifices we make to serve Jesus Christ will reap blessings for us and our families and that when we return home from our missions and throughout our lives we will continually be able to say that we know Christ more (John 7:17).
Christmas morning Elder L. Tom Perry came and spoke to us about Christmas and the Messiah. Later that day we had a talent show. Christmas night we had a fireside from the artist Greg Olsen.
On Sunday I was called to be the coordinating sister in our branch. This means I assist the Branch President and Zone Leaders in ministering to the sisters in our branch/zone. This includes lifting, encouraging, and inspiring the sisters and also encouraging obedience in the residence halls, missionary conduct, and dress. Sometimes this is hard because I feel like I am just learning the rules myself. Thankfully all the sisters in our zone (there are 7) are top-notch missionaries. I have already learned so much about loving other sisters and serving them. I am also improving in being able to communicate sensitive matters.
Spanish is getting better every day. I have a little notebook where I write down every word I come across that I don't know, then I look it up in the dictionary. I'm also reading El Libro De Mormon (The Book of Mormon) for 15 minutes a day which helps. I'm working as hard as I can and praying for the gift of tongues (could you pray for me?) and I know that the language will come so people can focus on what I'm saying instead of how I'm saying it.
My teachers here are great. I especially like Hermana (Sister) Cochrane. When she teaches I can feel the spirit so strongly and the storeis that she tells about her mission are exactly what I need to hear.
The gospel question that I better understood was exactly how the Book of Mormon contained the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and in what ways it better helps us to understand the Bible. This week Hermana Howze and I were studying about the gospel of Jesus Christ, focusing on the first principles and ordinances. Preach My Gospel directed us to scriptures in the Book of Mormon that clearly laid out the gospel (2 Nephi 31:10-21; 3 Nephi 11:31-41; 2 Nephi 27:13-22). These descriptions of the gospel are straight from the mouth of Jesus Christ. The principles and ordinances are also found in the Bible, but in my studies I have not found them laid out as clearly. My biblical scholars that have taught me over the years have approached the clarity of the doctrine found in those Book of Mormon scriptures, but I think it is so beautiful that we can read them there from the mouth of Christ Himself. I am so grateful for prophets and for the Book of Mormon!
This gospel is true. I know it. Have you read the Book of Mormon and prayed about it recently? We have a marvelous opportunity to have the truthfulness of the book confirmed to us continually.
This week has been a struggle for me to find the balance between being a fellow missionary with the elders and not acting like a 19-year-old. Mom, do you remember when you told me I was a 40-year-old in a 16-year-old body? Well now I feel like a 60-year-old in a 21-year-old body. :D There is definitely a time to have fun and laugh here, but it seems there are more times to focus and work hard (smiling all the way, of course). Obviously it's been a long process to finally arrive in the MTC and now that I'm finally here I don't want to waste a minute. So I pray every night for patience, charity, and wisdom.
Being a missionary has greatly increased my testimony of Jesus Christ. I rely on Christ and His atonement more than every before. I feel His love for me and others. I have to rely on the Spirit to know how to help others.
I can't wait to hear from you all. Thank you for your support. I LOVE YOU!
Con mucho amor,
Hermana Kinghorn

**** The Most correct MTC address for me is really:
Sister Andrea Joy Kinghorn
Box # 157
WA-SEA 0209
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Please write!