Querida Familia y Amigos,
Thank you so much for all of the birthday packages and cards I received. We were able to go out to Casa Oaxaca a Mexican restaurant with food from the state of Oaxaca (Wa-HA-ca). The food was so good! Before my mission I liked to change the type of food I ate when I went out but now I always just want to eat Mexican food. It's what we make at home and we always eat food at Mexican restaurants if we go out and it never gets old. Plus we are able to practice our Spanish and we pretty much always see a contact, former investigator, or member if we go to Mexican restaurants.
I will be sure to send pictures next week. I forgot the cord this week.
We had a great time at the temple on Tuesday. I was able to buy the Primary Children's Songbook CDs there and we have been listening to all of the primary songs in Spanish this week.
We have been teaching a little 8-year-old girl in a less-active family to prepare her to be baptized. Her mother spoke with the bishop this week and she will be getting baptized on October 9. It's not a convert baptism but we are really happy for her. She is so cute and we can see how the lessons with her are changing the spirit that is present with the whole family in the home.
We are teaching a family with 12-year-old twin girls. They went to mutual this week and they really enjoyed it. One of them is a little more receptive to the message than the other and has been reading The Book of Mormon in her reading time at school.
We just received an email today from President Larkin that Elder Yoshihiko Kikuchi of the First Quorum of the Seventy will be speaking to us next Monday morning. In October Elder Ringwood will be visiting us. We are all reading The Book of Mormon in preparation for his visit. President Larkin asked us to mark it with two colors: one to mark the words of Jesus Christ and the other to mark what the prophets say about Jesus Christ. This is the first time I have ever read The Book of Mormon this way and I find my testimony that The Book of Mormon is a powerful testimony of Jesus Christ growing. For the first time I noticed that 2 Nephi 29 is a beautiful chapter with Jesus Christ speaking to Nephi. I am starting to understand more and more the purpose of The Book of Mormon to testify that God remembers all nations (2 Nephi 29:8), that God lives (2 Nephi 19:8), that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever (2 Nephi 29:9), that God declares his word according to His will (2 Nephi 29:9), to be a clear testimony of the truth (2 Nephi 31:2-3; 33:5).
I love this gospel and I love you all. Have a great week!
Con amor,
Hermana Kinghorn