Monday, March 29, 2010

Amor

Querida Familia,
I have come to learn that having a laminated picture of my family is very valuable. When I testify about how the gospel can bless families, I will often show a picture of my family and talk about specific experiences I've had. People respond well when they can see a picture of a family that believes in Jesus Christ and has made covenants to follow him.
Cultural lesson of the week: I really like pet names in Spanish because they are so affectionate. For exampel: "Mi amor (My love)", "Mi vida (My life)", or "Tesoro (Treasure)". I hear parents call their children these names all the time.
This was a very busy week for us. I don't know if we ever got a full break and it was definitely showing by the end of the week. We were both tired and I was sick. This week we've decided that it is good to work hard, but that we are given breaks for a reason so we need to take them.
I. was baptized on Saturday and confirmed on Sunday. J. performed the baptism. Her husband also came to church with her on Sunday with a white shirt and tie.
We had Spanish Conference on Saturday. That is when all of the Spanish-speaking missionaries have a meeting together where we can receive training and can practice our Spanish. President Moffat came and spoke to us about using the Book of Mormon more in our teaching. He told us that when we can help investigators and members grow in their testimony of the Book of Mormon they will better understand their relationship with Jesus Christ. As he was talking I thought about one of our investigators, M. who has a son who is serving a mission in Chile right now. She wants him to baptize her when he gets back, 18 months from now. We want to help her see the importance of not postponing this covenant since she is ready. President Moffat told us that if we will use the Book of Mormon in our teachings that as investigators come to love and read it, they will be able to see the importance of making changes in their lives now and not postponing them. I know that President Moffat is inspired and we are so blessed to have him as our leader.
General Conference is this week. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God and I cannot wait to hear his words and the words of our other leaders. The more I think about the reality and importance that we have a prophet today, the more anxiously I wait to receive counsel from God through Him. I love you all. Have a wonderful week.
Con cariƱo,
Hermana Kinghorn